Tuesday, October 16, 2012

This is MY cigar


Yes, I own that sweatervest and I wore jeans on the golf course.

Yes. I made a cigar. Well, strictly speaking, I blended it. I am thrilled that it has been a VERY popular item in my local cigar shop. As a cigar aficionado, it is a culmination of something or other. It was all luck to be honest. Luck to get a spot on a trip to Honduras to start.  Here is what I wrote in my diary of that trip:

I had a definite blend in mine. Many worked from the inside out. I went the opposite way. I saw the wrapper I wanted and went from there. I wanted a cigar with a candela wrapper but was also full of flavor and distinct body. The candela wrapper was all the rage in the middle of last century. It was a distinctly green color from the captured chlorophyll because the leaf is picked early. It is seldom seen nowadays with only a few top brand names carrying them. (Fuente makes an 8-5-8 in a candela.) The wrapper was paying homage to my late grandfather who smoked Lord Beaconsfield Rounds, a short filler cigar in a candela (called Double Claro) wrapper. Even this cigar no longer comes in Candela. It is very mild but I find and earthy nuttiness to it. One of my friends compared it to "smoking spinach leaves."
To give my cigar some flavor, I chose to two ligero (full-bodied) fillers and smoothed it out with a seco filler (mild) and chose a viso (medium-bodied) binder to polish it off. My only hope was that this cigar wouldn't taste awful. Many of the guys made their cigars very full bodied, one made it very mild. Their choices included maduro wrappers or even wrappers from Cameroon. (Yes, Tobacco can grow almost everywhere.)
My recipe came as a surprise to everyone including Gustavo, the quality control manager who asked out loud, "Who the hell ordered the candela wrapper?"
I really do not miss the mustache
Not once but TWICE has my local shop sold out of this cigar. What made it even more interesting was that only recently that other cigar companies (outside of the Fuentes) have been pushing Candela wrappers. Only today, a friend looking for a good cigar said, “I’m looking for a ‘Bernard Scally’”. I gave him one of my small stash. Doubt I’ll be doing that anymore since I don’t know when more will come in.

No comments: