Monday, April 23, 2012

Bring the Bento

Last week proved to be interesting. After some more paperwork including a press pass application for the City of Philadelphia and other tax forms, I was out covering stories. This one about the Food Co-Op will hopefully prove to be something big, real big. I often feel cynical about certain initiatives but I really think that this one will be great for the neighbor and has some real momentum.
After that event, I went to Deke's BBQ. You may remember as The Garage, the place where I met the late, lamented Phillies sportscaster Harry Kalas. Tucked away next to the Ugly Moose, off of Shurs La., Deke's serves a filling BBQ menu and a killer Pecan Pie. By sheer luck, I met up with some journalistic colleagues there and had a great time, despite a "hockey" game going on around us.
Speaking of make-overs, I stepped into Dream House Asian Bistro today. New owners took over the old Jade Court last year and realized a overhaul and facelift were long overdue.
Jade Court served mediocre/standard Chinese Takeaway fare. I have only two distinct memories of the joint. Once, in my high school years, my friends and I trekked across a frozen Ridge Ave in a snow storm to satisfy our collect craving for MSG and carbohydrates. We got to the old parking lot on Lyceum Ave. and ate right out of the carton.
My second memory is not so pleasant. My co-worker and I ordered lunch from there once. Neither one of us could come into work the next day for symptoms I refuse to describe here. So I never ordered from there again, despite it being so close to the office.
But sometimes, you got to take the plunge and see if change is for the good.
Immediately, I noticed there was a difference when I ordered. I was informed that lunch was served as a Bento Box and I would receive entree, garden salad, two crab rangoon, 6-piece California Roll, cup of soup and steamed rice.That is what I got. Perfect portion size for the worker on the go and very filling. The Sesame Chicken was standard flavor but not drowning in sauce. The California Roll was also standard but enjoyable. I was a little concerned about mixing hot and cold foods but that is the nature of the box where you are ording as a take out.
A quick glance of the interior showed that the new owners really put the facade of the old Jade Court behind them. There is a whole sushi bar with chef in attendance. But only tomorrow will tell me if their cooking as truly improved...and if I will eat there again. IF all goes well, I'll be sitting in for Bento or Sushi soon.

UPDATE: I survived with any problems, we'll certainly be ordering from Dream House soon.

Photo: Bernard J. Scally

No comments: